MARCH - JUNE 2021
After the end of March (subject to any further Government restrictions being applied), the group volunteer programme, based on the 'rule of 6', will operate once again. We will try to keep up with the necessary seasonal work as best we can, until the normal, full programme can once again be operated.
Over the past few months, we have plodded away, managing our existing sites with an exceedingly small, dedicated team. This has kept 'nature' ticking over.
Please bear in mind the following:
1. The absolute MAXIMUM GROUP SIZE WILL BE 6 PEOPLE.
2. Sites are assessed for social distancing.
3. Please BOOK IN ADVANCE FOR WORKDAYS. No more than 6 people will be accepted.
4. Take care over tool use.
5. PLEASE DO NOT JOIN US IF YOU FEEL AT ALL UNWELL.
6. Volunteers must bring their own work gloves.
7. Please bring packed lunches and snacks including hot/cold drinks as required.
8. It is advisable to bring your own soap/sanitiser kit including towel and flask of hot water for washing hands at break times.
9. Remember - HANDS-TOOLS-DISTANCE
1. Our sponsorship calls for landscape trees on Torrisholme Barrow, in part to replace ash trees slowly dying of 'ash dieback', has been successful. 3 such trees are already agreed and financially supported for oak and alder, while another one has been pencilled in for the autumn. Mark Birkett, the farmer, has also been undertaking land management work, including hedging, and has put in a seat cut from a tree trunk!
2. Safe Tread strips have now been attached to the bridge and dipping platform in Great Wood.
3. A mini orchard has been completed at Mossgate School in Heysham, including fruit trees and bushes.
4. Thurnham wildflower meadow has been managed in preparation for the summer season.
5. Weeding has taken place within the signalling compound at Bare Lane Station and a start made on hedge management work by the entrance road to the car park.
6. Preparation for spring seed sowing in the Bee and Butterfly Walled Garden at Hazelwood Farm in Silverdale has taken place.
The new mini orchard at Mossgate School
Newly sponsored oak tree on Torrisholme Barrow
PROVISIONAL PROGRAMME but specific tasks subject to change as circumstances dictate
SUNDAY 4 APRIL - HAZELWOOD FARM, BEE AND BUTTERFLY GARDEN
SUNDAY 18 APRIL - THURNHAM WILDFLOWER MEADOW
SUNDAY 2 MAY - MOSSGATE SCHOOL, HEYSHAM - Infant area and bog garden
SUNDAY 16 MAY - GREAT WOOD - Wildflowers; BARE LANE STATION - tubs and planters
SUNDAY 30 MAY - BELMONT MEADOWS - Hedge
SUNDAY 13 JUNE - TREE MAINTENANCE DAY - Flying Squad visits to recent tree planting sites